Ebu’l-Hasan al-Velvaleci, a famous Islamic scholar narrated “I went to visit Abu Reyhan al-Biruni. He was lying in his deathbed, and hardly breathing. Then he said to me, “One day you mentioned an equation about the calculation of the rights of the grandma in the inheritance, how was it?” With a little gush I said, “Do you still ask me these things even in this situation? He said, “Is it better if I leave this world knowing this matter, or say farewell without knowing?” Therefore, I told him the matter again. He listened and memorized. Then, he told me about the things he was going to do. I left after a while. Not long after I had left, I heard loud crying and shouting. When I looked back, Abu Rayhan al-Biruni had passed away.
Abu Rayhan Muhammad (Ahmed al-Biruni) who dedicated his life to knowledge and learning the things he didn’t know was born in Kas, which was the center of Harezm region on 3 Dhu al-Hijjah 362 (h) / September, 4, 973 (c). There is no information about Biruni’s family. Once he mentioned that he did not know about his grandfather and his family in one of his poems. He also stated that he did not even know his father.
Islamic scholar al-Biruni, who enlightened the scientific world with his pioneer discoveries and inventions, is an important Turkish-Islamic figure, whose precious works take place in fields such as astronomy, pharmacology, mathematics, physics, medicine, geography, history, and so on. He died on December 13, 1048.
Major Works of Biruni
1) el-Âsârü’l-bâkıye ‘ani’l-kurûni’l-hâliye: It gives information about calendars used by various societies.
2) Tahdîdü nihâyâti’l-emâkin li-tashîhi mesâfâti’l-mesâkin: It has information about latitude-longitude calculations, inter-city distances and Qibla finding and other historical and geographical subjects.
3) et-Tefhîm fî evâili sınâ‘ati’t-tencîm: It contains subjests as Mathematics, astronomy, astrology and geography.
4) Tahkîku mâ li’l-Hind min makûletin makbûletin fi’l- ‘akl ev merzûle: It is the first work written in the field of Hindology.
5) el-Kânûnü’l-Mes‘ûdî: It is a work written for Mahmud of Ghazna and includes subjects such as astrology, geodesy, trigonometry and meteorology.
6) el-Cemâhir fi’l-cevâhir: siyasi, kültürel, ahlaki, tarihi başta olmak üzere Biruni’nin çeşitli alanlardaki saptamalarını içermektedir. It contains the determinations of Biruni on various areas primarily political, cultural, moral, and historical subjects.
7) es-Saydele fi’t- Tıb: It is a work of medicine, pharmacy, botany and philology.
Our website will be updated shortly about Biruni and his works.